Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Increase Your Customers with "The Business Card Handshake"



There is a local liquor store near me that I happen to visit regularly enough to be recognized by the staff. (Don't act like you don't have your own spots you visit, LOL!) One day while selecting a "tasty beverage" to take back to my basement pub and watch a little UFC, built in 2012 called "Congdon's Pub," I started a conversation with the GM which eventually became about what is it I do for a living. She was probably thinking how do I afford all the cabernet sauvignon and scotch I purchase there. After explaining that I have accumulated 15 plus years of knowledge and experience in the field of business and marketing she had a look of disbelief so I called her out on it. We strolled to her back office and I sketched out a few very inexpensive and easy things she could do to bring in more business. 

During the following 11-week period she handed out 200 of her business cards to people she did not recognize as being her current customers. We made her a goal of handing out no less than 10 a day, as she set about this, on the back of her business card she would write, "free regular coffee or soft drink" and sign it. Then she would tell the prospective customer, "when you come into our store, that drink's on me!" (Like all campaigns I set-up there are metrics in place to track and measure the results.)

Of the 200 she passed out, 51 came back; that's over a 25% return. Obviously, most of those who came in and redeemed that card bought other things. Plus, many of those customers came back for more visits.

The unique thing about a business-card handshake promotion is that it has a strong redemption rate and a strong conversation rate. The reason is that it allows you to develop a personal relationship with potential customers. There's a nice ego boost when a customer knows the manager or owner of a business. It makes them feel special. Take advantage of this.

And don't create some special "free cards" for this purpose. To really make a person feel special, you use your business card. Handwrite the offer on the back and sign it. That will have a much greater impact for you. We often suggest to our clients that they pass out 10 - 15 per week. But it's not just handing them out. It's that 15-second greeting that goes along with it. Here's one that worked really well for a popular local Mexican restaurant. (And why the idea was fresh in my head to use.)

"My name is _________, the General Manager at the _______ (state the location.) (Shake hands.) Have you ever been there before? Do you like burritos and tacos? Well, you're going to like ours. Why don't you come on in and be my guest. (Take out a business card and write the offer on the back in front of them so as not to show it was so pre-planned.) Have an entree on me. Hope to see you soon! 

I still get emails telling me great success stories from this one simple idea.

If this one doesn't work for you try reading "the hindsight promotion" below.

A very successful financial advisor from the Grand Blanc / Fenton area and I created a modified version of the Business Card Handshake. 

While commuting to work Andrew would have to have his morning coffee. Before he would pay for his beverage, he would first look in his rearview mirror. If he saw a car nicer than his, he would not only pay his tab  but also that of the person in the other luxury car as well. He then would ask the person at the drive thru window to hand his business card to the person in the car behind him after writing a brief note on the back. The note read "If you think this is an interesting way of getting your attention, think of the things I could do for your financial portfolio." He got many new clients off of a simple  cost for a coffee and a clever use of his business card. 


No comments:

Post a Comment